Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 216 USD, Received: 0 USD (0%)
Your donation helps out the DPG servers and helps keep DPG alive. Thank you for your donation!

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 questions

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Windows 10 questions

Hi guys. I used to play on the COD4 server a lot. I miss playing a bunch and want to get back to it. My computer died last Thanksgiving and I haven't played any since. We bought a laptop just to stay on line and conduct personal business. I have been collecting parts to build a computer and am down to selecting an operating system. I had XP pro on the old setup but it was 10 years old... I have Windows 10 on the laptop and am pretty satisfied all around with it. So I want to buy 10 for the new build but don't have a clue which version to buy. The more I look at the windows 10 choices the more confused I get. Here is what I have so far. I have an ASUS Z170 motherboard, an I-7 quad core CPU, Ripjaws 32 GB ram (plan to double that soon), EVGA GTX970 graphics card and a Samsung 1TB SSD hard drive. Do I need a 32 bit or a 64 bit operating system? I am leaning towards 64 bit. I have read that there are difficulties with the Direct X system on the windows 10 system and playing COD 4. Help me out a little guys so I can finish up this system and get back to playing. Thanks for the help. SMOKIN

Quake 2 Commander
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: killerhrtz

Re: Windows 10 questions

Get the 64 bit os. If you get the 32 bit, it only recognizes 4GB of ram. 64 Bit will let you use the 32GB Ripjaws you have. BTW, the 64 bit version will allow you to run the 64 bit based games that take advantage of the newer hardware you have and more software is compatible with it. When you get it setup, be sure to look in the cod4 section of the forum for help with getting Punkbuster setup so that you won't get kicked every few minutes in game. CYA in game!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And get at me if you are using cd cod4 install and run into issues. Steam should install fine.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Pr0cl1v3ty XFIRE ID: Procl1v1ty Steam ID: Pr0cl1v1ty

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKIN View Post
    Hi guys. I used to play on the COD4 server a lot. I miss playing a bunch and want to get back to it. My computer died last Thanksgiving and I haven't played any since. We bought a laptop just to stay on line and conduct personal business. I have been collecting parts to build a computer and am down to selecting an operating system. I had XP pro on the old setup but it was 10 years old... I have Windows 10 on the laptop and am pretty satisfied all around with it. So I want to buy 10 for the new build but don't have a clue which version to buy. The more I look at the windows 10 choices the more confused I get. Here is what I have so far. I have an ASUS Z170 motherboard, an I-7 quad core CPU, Ripjaws 32 GB ram (plan to double that soon), EVGA GTX970 graphics card and a Samsung 1TB SSD hard drive. Do I need a 32 bit or a 64 bit operating system? I am leaning towards 64 bit. I have read that there are difficulties with the Direct X system on the windows 10 system and playing COD 4. Help me out a little guys so I can finish up this system and get back to playing. Thanks for the help. SMOKIN

Any reason you want to double your RAM? 32GB is PLENTY more than you need. Spend your money on a Graphics card, this is the most noticable difference in performance.

Honestly I wouldnt get a 970GTX get the new 1070 or 1080!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would agree that 32gb of ram is plenty and also definitely go with a 64bit OS.
    @Pr0cl1v1ty, I think he was saying that he already has the evga 970gtx for a video card. If not then I would hold off and pick up one of the newer cards since the platforms they are using for the new cards are even better (the 1060 actually falls between the 970 and 980 in performance from what I have heard).

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pr0cl1v1ty View Post
    Any reason you want to double your RAM? 32GB is PLENTY more than you need. Spend your money on a Graphics card, this is the most noticable difference in performance.

Honestly I wouldnt get a 970GTX get the new 1070 or 1080!
    I saw a noticeable difference when I went from 16 GB to 32 GB on my old system that had a 32 bit operating system. This system is a 64 bit and thought I would experience the same improvement with this system. This is why I ask because I am not up on this stuff. If I don't need and wont see any change then I wont double the RAM.

Why a 1070 over the 970? Its the same old story with these things. As soon as you settle in on something there is a new one out... lol. Its not a lot of money difference but this build is digging deeper and deeper into my pocket. If there is a huge difference I would change up to the 1070 but if it is minimal I probably wont see it with my poor eye site. Up until Thanksgiving when the hard drive crashed I had been playing with a GTS 8800 graphics card..... It was 8 or so years old.

Part of it is that I am taking my old Motherboard and building the wife a home computer for her use with house bills and taxes and... well you know. Building 2 at the same time is pricey. Even when you reuse some stuff....

Thanks for the input. I appreciate every ones time they take to reply.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

Windows 32bit can only see less than 4GB of RAM, so how could going from 16 -32 make a difference??? Confused.

970 is still a great card, I would keep at it since it is $100 cheaper.

Literally anything over 32GB of RAM is crazy to do.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pr0cl1v1ty View Post
    Windows 32bit can only see less than 4GB of RAM, so how could going from 16 -32 make a difference??? Confused.
    I have no clue why it made a difference but it picked up the game experience. I am computer dumb... Bring me your car to restore and I can get it done.

I think I will be so tickled with the 970 card over the old 8800 card that I will be very happy.

Okay if over 32GB of RAM is crazy, then is it to much for what I am doing? Is it detrimental to the function of the PC or the game?

Thanks again for the help.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay you got my curiosity up and I went and pulled a memory stick out of the old Motherboard. It has 4 sticks at 1GB each. The old memory aint what it used to be. So it had 2 GB and I doubled that to 4GB. That was 8 plus years ago. Now it makes sense.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Vyri XFIRE ID: ksteffens24 Steam ID: kyle24steffens

16gb is really all you need for gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfish View Post
    My two cents, go with whatever special k says.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

Okay you got my curiosity up and I went and pulled a memory stick out of the old Motherboard. It has 4 sticks at 1GB each. The old memory aint what it used to be. So it had 2 GB and I doubled that to 4GB. That was 8 plus years ago. Now it makes sense.
    Yea you said 16 to 32GB lol!!! I was like ok im confused hahaha. but yea defiantly going from 2 to 4 would be HUGE.

Investigative Services Studdmuffin's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Studdmuffin89 XFIRE ID: knives328 Steam ID: studdmuffin89

I have 32 GB and have yet to hit 50% usage. No need for 64GB for many years. Unless you want bragging rights lol
    Nitrous is like a hot girl with a STD, you always want to hit it, but are afraid of the consequences

Turbo cars are like hot women. A little edgy, every guy wants one, some guys can't handle them, and if you throw a little alcohol in them they'll rock your world

Horsepower sells cars, Torque wins races

Quote Originally Posted by Bojangles View Post
    We should have them donate $500 for the entire group to be unbanned. They can start up a lemonade stand together to earn the money. Sounds like the perfect job for a bunch of retards.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

XFIRE ID: 510Rockit

I have no clue why it made a difference but it picked up the game experience. I am computer dumb... Bring me your car to restore and I can get it done.

I think I will be so tickled with the 970 card over the old 8800 card that I will be very happy.

Okay if over 32GB of RAM is crazy, then is it to much for what I am doing? Is it detrimental to the function of the PC or the game?

Thanks again for the help.
    I bought a BENQ monitor, 144hz,, its like buying a new video card... just saying..

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Rockit. I will keep that in mind. My monitors are at least 9 years old. That probably should be the next upgrade.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Destroyer6973 XFIRE ID: fangs6973

the main thing with a 32bit OS is it only "shows" 4GB of ram it still runs whatever you have in there! just the system is only programmed to know it is supposed to cap at 4GB and no more, but with hardware available it will use the ram that the board supports not just stop using it at 4GB! but no matter i would still upgrade to a 64bit OS anyway it is just better!

Thread Information