Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 216 USD, Received: 19 USD (9%)
Your donation helps out the DPG servers and helps keep DPG alive. Thank you for your donation!

User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: DS2 is completely down...

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    751 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: dpgmaximus XFIRE ID: dpgmaximus Steam ID: dpgmaximus

Re: DS2 is completely down...

@remedy thank you so much for your hard work and your expedited delivery as well as donation of the CMOS battery. I will go ahead and post that info over to Colocrossing right now.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Mentioned
    768 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: DmX XFIRE ID: dpgbojangles Steam ID: bojiggy Wii Code: 7439-0647-3199-1639

The CMOS battery is probably not going to be our savior, but it won't hurt to replace (if it really is dead).

DS2 seems to have a power issue or one of its drives is hosed. It likes to randomly shut itself down, sometimes not even coming back up after a restart. If this problem magically doesn't go away after the CMOS battery is replaced, then it will require some new hardware to be installed on the server. If its the power supply, it won't be completely terrible.. if it is one of the drives, we will be remotely rebuilding DS2 from scratch.
    R

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Mentioned
    327 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

XFIRE ID: arbopa Steam ID: arbopa

I am guessing all this is a bit worse because DS2 is not their hardware, that DPG is just paying for single server space in the data center? Which means if they do anything to it they charge out the backside?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    751 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Arbo View Post
    I am guessing all this is a bit worse because DS2 is not their hardware, that DPG is just paying for single server space in the data center? Which means if they do anything to it they charge out the backside?
    Yep. Bye bye surplus...

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank's Remedy,Kahne and everyone else who's working so hard to get it up and running.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let me know if I can be of any use over the weekend. I work tonight but will be around friday / saturday

Investigative Services Studdmuffin's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Studdmuffin89 XFIRE ID: knives328 Steam ID: studdmuffin89

If they can let me into the data center, I can replace any part on the box if need.
    Nitrous is like a hot girl with a STD, you always want to hit it, but are afraid of the consequences

Turbo cars are like hot women. A little edgy, every guy wants one, some guys can't handle them, and if you throw a little alcohol in them they'll rock your world

Horsepower sells cars, Torque wins races

Quote Originally Posted by Bojangles View Post
    We should have them donate $500 for the entire group to be unbanned. They can start up a lemonade stand together to earn the money. Sounds like the perfect job for a bunch of retards.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: kajal33 XFIRE ID: Tribe333

password for ds1 ?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

The CMOS battery is probably not going to be our savior, but it won't hurt to replace (if it really is dead).

DS2 seems to have a power issue or one of its drives is hosed. It likes to randomly shut itself down, sometimes not even coming back up after a restart. If this problem magically doesn't go away after the CMOS battery is replaced, then it will require some new hardware to be installed on the server. If its the power supply, it won't be completely terrible.. if it is one of the drives, we will be remotely rebuilding DS2 from scratch.
    If CMOS battery is bad, it would still start up and stay up.. time date wont stay between boots, but I haven't seen it cause intermittent restarts without it being a mainboard issue as well... i hate intermittent faults...really really hard to track down even if your physical to the box.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From my experience, three things could cause systems to shut down:

1. Bad mainboard - defect in manufacturing causing a short. Highly unlikely if the system has been running for a long time.

2. Bad PSU - PSUs don't normally have a long life expectancy. They fail and need replaced more often than expected. A bad PSU could cause the system to shut down.

3. Overheating processor - over time, the fan cooling the processor gets gunked up due to dust or wears out and can no longer adequately keep the processor cool. Once it gets hot enough, as a fail safe measure, the system will shut itself down.

Hope that helps!

Good luck!
    [IGC]Eornom
    Clan Impact

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: remedy1419 XFIRE ID: muffinman1419 Steam ID: 76561197987082448

if i had to bet i'd go with it being a bad PSU. pretty common reason for shutdowns beyond heat, and i highly doubt it's heat.

if the drives were failing we'd be seeing corruption / automated chkdsks and errors in the event logs. not seeing those.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

I am thinking either .. PSU going... or CPU overheating .. I hope its a PSU crapping out those are relatively inexpensive, if the Proc is overheating, and we need to reapply thermal paste, replace heat sink.. thats going to be a pain, and expensive since we would either have to outsource to a local tech, or someone we trust is close enough to do it.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    751 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Studdmuffin View Post
    If they can let me into the data center, I can replace any part on the box if need.
    I meant to get back to you about that, they won't let you in. I inquired about this a week or so ago when I was bringing up the idea of installing an SSD and what not. Something about their policy won't allow it because we have a rack unit and not one that is in a cabinet. However, it does make me wonder if somebody like @Bojangles were in the Chicago area and wanted access if they would tell him the same thing. If they did say it was cool for him to have access then it is obvious to me that you simply just need an admin account on colocrossing, but either way for some reason they aren't exactly volunteering that information which I don't like. Makes sense from their perspective because it guarantees them billable man hours, but it sucks for us because your a local guy who is part of leadership who can't have access.

Investigative Services Studdmuffin's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Studdmuffin89 XFIRE ID: knives328 Steam ID: studdmuffin89

Quote Originally Posted by Max][mu$ View Post
    I meant to get back to you about that, they won't let you in. I inquired about this a week or so ago when I was bringing up the idea of installing an SSD and what not. Something about their policy won't allow it because we have a rack unit and not one that is in a cabinet. However, it does make me wonder if somebody like @Bojangles were in the Chicago area and wanted access if they would tell him the same thing. If they did say it was cool for him to have access then it is obvious to me that you simply just need an admin account on colocrossing, but either way for some reason they aren't exactly volunteering that information which I don't like. Makes sense from their perspective because it guarantees them billable man hours, but it sucks for us because your a local guy who is part of leadership who can't have access.
    Really? Even if you told them I worked for such and such company that I provide post oem warranty support on your machine? But, it does sound like since it is not in a cabinet that they don't want outside people coming in to protect other users data on other machines. What kind of data center is this? lol.
    Nitrous is like a hot girl with a STD, you always want to hit it, but are afraid of the consequences

Turbo cars are like hot women. A little edgy, every guy wants one, some guys can't handle them, and if you throw a little alcohol in them they'll rock your world

Horsepower sells cars, Torque wins races

We should have them donate $500 for the entire group to be unbanned. They can start up a lemonade stand together to earn the money. Sounds like the perfect job for a bunch of retards.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    751 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Studdmuffin View Post
    Really? Even if you told them I worked for such and such company that I provide post oem warranty support on your machine? But, it does sound like since it is not in a cabinet that they don't want outside people coming in to protect other users data on other machines. What kind of data center is this? lol.
    Here is what they posted:

"Only full locking cabinet customers are allowed physical access to the datacenter. We have this policy to prevent other customers from accessing your gear and vice versa.

You can have him drop off the parts and we can install them for you. It's typically much easier to send the parts via UPS or FedEX and have us install them."

"This is a very common policy among the industry. For an example, I doubt you would want another 1U colo customer being able to touch you equipment, accidentally or intentionally pulling cables, taking stuff that's not theirs to be taken, pulling power cables, etc. This is why we only allow our trusted technicians in shared colocation cabinets that are held accountable for their actions under heavy supervision. We take security very seriously and there are no exceptions to this policy."

Thread Information