Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 216 USD, Received: 0 USD (0%)
Your donation helps out the DPG servers and helps keep DPG alive. Thank you for your donation!

User Tag List

Thread: Sli?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

XFIRE ID: pacotito Steam ID: pacotito

Sli?

What problems has anyone run into using SLI? Im in the process of picking a new build and I dont want to spend big money on a GPU at least until Pascal comes. So my options are to get another 960 4gb for SLI and give my son the old HD6950. Or get a 950 for my son and take the 960 I'm using now. My plan is to not upgrade my GPU until 1 card can run 4k so I can upgrade monitor and GPU at the same time.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Pr0cl1v3ty XFIRE ID: Procl1v1ty Steam ID: Pr0cl1v1ty

Re: Sli?

@pacotito, I have a couple of questions for you.

What games will you be playing at 4k? What is the minimum average FPS you want for a game at 4k?

4k Gaming realistically is not going to be affordable for another 1-2 years. (or atleast until direct x 12)

Currently the sli gtx 960s will do fine for most games at all high or some ultra.

SLI isn't fully implemented into a lot of games, such as World of Warcraft.

BF4 does an AMAZING job at utilizing SLI.

Need more info on what you want from your gaming experience.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

Mostly Call of duty, Battlefield, Insurgency, and fallout. I'm on 1080 at 120hz right now and get between 90-120 fps depending on game. Battlefield and fallout are closer to 60. I'm not planning to go to 4k until it's doable with a single card at a minimum of 60fps So I was looking for something to hold me over until then. I've heard a lot of issues with sli. I do plan to play a lot of mass effect when it comes out and since its using frostbite I'm guessing it should scale good like BF4. Just not sure if it's worth the extra $100 to sli then use one as a PhysX card when I go to 4k. There's one game DCS world that I know scaled horribly but I think that's one of the main concerns with DCS World 2.0 so that should be fixed. So I'm looking to get at least 100fps in everything I play with decent settings.
    Last edited by pacotito; 01-25-2016 at 07:24 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

Well for me I like to max out ultra everything at 1080p and cant ever go under 60fps, so I went with a gtx 980 lightning edition card.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

Right now Id like to be at a min of 100 fps at 1080p. I dont want to spend a lot on a video card since pascal is due out sometime this year but Ive heard lots of SLI issues. Im sure 2 960s would get me there but I dont want to deal with compatibility issues all the time. So it basically depends on the game/driver as to how well it works if at all?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

The 900 series generally speaking fairs well in SLI, bro the best thing to do is honestly to look at benchmarks and see what they got, if that's where you want to be FPS / settings wise then go for it!

However, I am in the same boat as you, personally I have had SLI many times with the 660 TI most recently, running into issues myself, some havent had them....so I went with the 980 gtx

Thread Information