Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 216 USD, Received: 0 USD (0%)
Your donation helps out the DPG servers and helps keep DPG alive. Thank you for your donation!

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's All Do Maximus and THADPG a HUGE Favor. Sound Good?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's All Do Maximus and THADPG a HUGE Favor. Sound Good?

[Disclaimer: Neither Max nor any of the other members contributed to the thoughts expressed in the following address. This is simply what came to mind when I visited your site, looked at the Teamspeak today, and saw that it was empty. Strong ideas will be noted, but no offense is intended at all. I have only the best hopes and intentions towards this community, and this is meant to be motivational to the entire DPG family, from top to bottom.]

Hello guys,

Back in early 2000s, I used to bang with |DPG|, daily, for a few years.
    I was young, life took hold, and I stopped playing all games for about a decade.

I have so much respect for this clan that I can't even begin to emphasize the magnitude of where I'm coming from.

I still drop in time to time to donate, say "hey" to Max, and to keep a thumb on the pulse of thadpg.

Lately, over the past months, what I've seen is concerning and I think that there is a very nasty (and normal) factor at play within this community that I want to address with you guys.

-

I have interviewed/interrogated no less than 50 people who have come from broken clans, in order to understand what kills gaming communities, so I'm crystal clear that there is exactly 1 reason that this community is still here.

That reason is the hard work and dedication of the people who have kept their boots on the ground, their eyes open, their ideas flowing, the clan adapting, and so on. Least of all is the power bill. It's only their care and their concern and their sacrifices that have left these doors open.

If you think that Maximus (and others) haven't countless times stayed up WAY later than their bedtime to troubleshoot technical issues, roster issues, policy issues, research etc...then slap yourself in the face, take a cold shower, and come back and read the rest.

Hard work and dedication are the only way this is still on it's feet.

Without Max's hard work and dedication, without the care expressed by Max through his tireless hard work...DPG would have absolutely crumbled many times over.

95% of clans don't last a single year, much less 13. (Yes, I made that statistic up. No, it can't be far off.)

But it's not just Max's contributions. If it were just Max, again, thadpg would have completely crumbled many times over.

Many of you through the years have stepped up and helped the clan survive with the hopes of growth and with the hopes of achieving the potential that you all feel it has. You feel it's something worth working towards.

This clan rests on YOUR backs, and this community is extremely lucky to have you guys at the wheel.

-

Many have come, many have went.

To a lot of you, "who cares if many come and go," is the question?

You think to yourselves, "thanks to the work of DPG members before me, I have all the gaming friends I need!'

But the thing is...people before you have not only BUILT this platform, but they've MAINTAINED it in order to give you that opportunity.

Max and others have served you, doggedly...
    ...and I'm not talking about like 'letting someone cut in line'...
    ...I'm talking like 'building the freeking wall of China'...for YOU.

That needs to be acknowledged, respected, and not taken for granted.

So I guess what I'm saying to all of you dpg and DPG members that show up carefree, play, and leave, without a thought or care in the world in regards to the amount of work that goes into this community, is:

WHILE YOU'RE HERE...

WHY DON'T YOU DO MAXIMUS A FAVOR...

WHY DON'T YOU DO YOUR CLAN A FAVOR...

AND PAY IT FORWARD!

Put the mouse down for a few minutes a day...

Pick up your keyboard...

And engage a few guests/visitors in friendly bantor!

Find the people in your server that are laughing off TKs with "np lol!"
    Find the people with the COOL attitudes that make sense.
    Find the people you suspect it would be enjoyable to be around...

...and engage them, befriend them, with the goal of introducing them to your clan Teamspeak!

That needs to be your primary reason for showing up everyday.
    Gaming and hanging out with DPG should be secondary.

Why?

Because without that primary effort, willingness, care, and concern, THADPG wouldn't even exist for you to enjoy in the first place!

Look after it, so that it can look after you.

"Interdependcy" comes to mind.
    "Symbiosis" comes to mind.
    Strength, longevity, promise, and productivity follow.

Right now, I see a few people working real hard to keep this thing together, while a lot of others stand around and watch them work.

What we want here isntead...is a setup where everyone works just a little bit...with results that are x10 what just a handful could do if they were here 24/7, 365.

Right now, the DPG Teamspeak is near dead. I understand it's early afternoon, but I'm watching a 9-way conversation going on in another teamspeak, right now, as they seed/play/hangout.

So what this dormant DPG TS means, then, is that there is an underlying attitude of, "who cares if TS empty in the day? I'm doing A-OK." "Who cares if I bring in another guest to be a part of things or not. I'm happy with my little group of friends right now."

But what I'm pleading that you all consider, is instead of asking 'what's good for you,' is to ask, "what's good for this community that I enjoy so much?"

If you think an empty teamspeak is the way to go...then why don't you go tell Max to his face that you feel there should be less people around instead of more...so that he can go upside your head and take your tags.

I can assure you that an empty TS is not Max's idea of a healthy clan, or any sane person's idea of a healthy clan.

SO DO MAX A FAVOR...DO YOURSELF A FAVOR...DO THE NEXT GUY A FAVOR...

...THE NEXT TIME YOU PLAY...TAKE A FEW MINUTES TO FOCUS ON PAYING IT FORWARD AND GROWING YOUR COMMUNITY.

Show just a fraction of the dedication that Max and a handful of others have shown you.
    Show just a fraction of the self-sacrifice involved with the care, concern, and maintenance for your community.

The amount of people that will magically fall into your lap gets you what you have. An empty teamspeak.
    Life happens and for every 10 people that show up, 11 leave.

You have to go out there and actively *focus* on recruiting the best quality characters, by hand, nonstop.

Do that for a minute and all of you will find yourselves with someone to game with, in any game, any day of the week, almost any time of day, within your own DPG community.

And that's how you do a thing.

I sense that some of you aren't worthy of the clan tag that Max has given you.
    I sense that some of you wouldn't piss on this clan if it were on fire.

That **** has got to stop.

Max deserves better.
    The people who have brought you this clan deserve better.
    You deserve better from yourselves.

Max sacrificed much to give you a community...so now it's time that you thank him by giving him one back.

So do Max and the hardcore DPG members a solid.

Do the right thing and take time to introduce a new friend from whatever game(s) you're playing, into your teamspeak, TODAY, TOMMOROW, AND THE NEXT.

It's something that anyone and everyone can absolutely take some time to do.
    It's something that everyone should take time to do.
    It's something that's only good for the DPG community.
    It's necessary to this community's good health and survival.
    It's worth far more than a $ donation.

So what's the issue?
    Dummy up, make your clan a priority, and put in some much needed work!

To those of you that want bonus points? Ask Max or one of the other leaders what else you can do to help them out. I'm sure they'll be happy to find you something extra to work at.

Work at this project together, as a community, in-step, with a common goal, and you guys will reach the mark, yes?

Let's show Max some appreciation and help give him (and yourselves) a nice full Teamspeak to enjoy everyday, yes?

Where you can play whatever game, whatever time, with friends you've met in DPG, yes?

Thanks for your time and Best Wishes to DPG,

An Old Friend

To those that prefer Rock:

Nuclear Assault - Critical Mass
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzFN1nm0vbY

To those that prefer Rap:

KRSONE - No Wack DJs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8uC6e827IM

Dilated Peoples - Worst Come To Worst
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sevZEOUXpw4

To those that prefer Reggae:

Anthony B - Raid The Barn (for Max)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6Jg8iJsf7U

Hey Max, I can't find where to reach you on this site anymore, so find me on Steam if you get a minute brother. (DeeVeeOss)

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    751 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: dpgmaximus XFIRE ID: dpgmaximus Steam ID: dpgmaximus

Re: Let's All Do Maximus and THADPG a HUGE Favor. Sound Good?

Hi @DeeVeeOss aka Blitz. Thanks for stopping by and posting. It was quite the read to say the least... lol.

DPG has changed many years ago compared to what you may have remembered it back in MOHAA days.

For one, we don't have one set game in which everyone hops on a voice chat like Roger Wilco (nowadays TS) to game it up. Many of us play different games like League of Legends, Titanfall, CoD4, CoD5, Black Ops, Diablo 3, and Insurgency. When you take that into factor, that a lone means it is hard to focus on just one thing because so many of us like variety.

Sometimes I feel bad for new applicants who are trying to get recruited like @GoddamnDrunk who sits in the BlackOps channel when in fact hardly anyone will game it up with him, not because we don't have a popular server (we have one of the most popular ones), but because people have moved on to other games.

What I am trying to say is, while I appreciate your intentions and compliments about where DPG was and is today, there are a lot of other factors of why our TS isn't populated 24/7 like it was years ago. Some of these factors definitely are the idea that back in 2009 or 2010 we changed up some rules. One in particular is that a lot of us became older and while some were recruited back in the MOHAA/vCoD days as teenagers, a lot of us didn't want to be around that anymore while we were gaming. As a result, we changed the rule of any age is allowed to apply, to 18 and up only.

Another thing you have to take into account is that since there is a much older crowd in DPG compared to years ago is the fact that a lot of us are either at work during the day or at school. Take myself for instance, I just started my MBA 2 weeks ago in which I have double the work load compared to the average person taking the same program simply because I don't want to be in school for 2 more years, I want to finish up in 9 months. Needless to say, that too is taking up a lot of my time.

For quite a few of us, contributing factors such as a family, work, school, etc; etc is getting in the way.

Last, things like the minimum 2 month recruitment period and new things like how you have to pay small dues to join DPG, all play a contributing factor.

While it would be AMAZING if we had the high activity we use to have, I am very thankful for what we do have and that is a solid clan and gaming community who enjoys each other whenever we get the opportunity to hop online to shoot the breeze with each other.

Like with all great things, nothing EVER stays the same. I miss the 90s. It was the best years of my life. They are gone. I miss the MOHAA days, they were probably some of the best days of DPG, but they too are gone. People move on and people do change. Our clan has changed and will continue to change and adapt to what games are out there as well as work things out to help continue the survival of DPG.

As you have stated, we are still here after 13 and a half years and still plan on being around.

Thanks for stopping by Blitz and take care man. I will add you later tonight to Steam. Busy at the moment with homework.
    Last edited by Max][mu$; 07-28-2015 at 05:09 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Trophies
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for your comments and concerns @DeeVeeOss. I'm sure I can speak for the others here as well when I say that it is appreciated that you care about DPG this much to post a thread such as this. As @Max][mu$ said, DPG has changed and adapted throughout the years. Many of the members have grown up and older as the years past. Many have started new careers and families that just do not allow them to game it up as much as they used to. Also the addition of a minimum age and recruitment period has its factors, although it has brought a more mature and diverse group to DPG. I do hear what you are saying though and we are continually trying to bring new people in and having more people in TS would help, but that is not always possible. I, like you, would love to see a more active TS. I miss chatting with some of the members as well as some of the regulars that use to play a bunch. Hopefully some will see this thread and join TS a bit more when then are able, whether it is to game or even just hop in and shoot the s***.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: goddamndrunk Steam ID: GoddamnDrunk

@Max][mu$ don't feel bad brother. I am always there just in case anyone wants to jump in. I have other games, I just always find myself going back to BlackOps for some stupid reason. 2 months is a long time, but I guess I'm about half way there. Anyone who wants to be a part of that community should have no objections. I myself also have a 1 year old daughter so I'm not always available, but you netter believe that if I am... there is only one server that I'm playing in.

Cheers,
    -Goddamn Drunk

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Mentioned
    768 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: DmX XFIRE ID: dpgbojangles Steam ID: bojiggy Wii Code: 7439-0647-3199-1639

I am not sure how to respond to this post. It reads like a long chain e-mail from the late 1990's where at the end there is some troll thing at the end telling me that if I don't forward the e-mail to 10 people some zombie girl will haunt my dreams for the rest of my life.

Anyway, Max isn't the only one who has put part of his life into DPG. I can only speak for myself here, but I have given DPG more than I have any other activity ever taken upon in my life. And it has given back to me more than I could have ever asked for.

As for yourself, someone who has disappeared from DPG numerous times, I am not sure you are in a position to call people out for having a lack of "community".
    R

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm COMPLETELY on your page, I know EXACTLY what you guys are talking about 100% and I have so much more to say that I have nothing to say. Maybe we'll chat one day and compare notes.

Nuff respect, Xeno, Max, and you too Bo.

-

Bo, I really wasn't trying to offend you man, I was actually trying to praise guys like you and Sneaky and prove that your work has not gone unnoticed or unneeded. You should read what I wrote man.

But in my defense, Bo, I'd like to share 2 points of notice:

Firstly, (assuming that's SneakyPete I see with the CDN flag in TS right now), I recruited 25% of the people that you're gaming with here tonight. That's #1. (Waddap Sneaky. I don't remember too many cats from back then, but I f-right remember you brother. You're pure HardCore man and I hope all is well on the east coast for ya despite the savage wheather you guys are getting year around.)

Secondly,
    What can I tell ya Bo? Life happened! I found myself training boxing, I found myself clubbing, I found myself acting like a dude in his 20s. I left all tv monitors and computer screens for a decade. I didn't leave for another game. I didn't leave for another clan. That happened once. Not twice. You can't fault people for life. You can fault people who come around everyday and refuse to lift a finger to address the concerns of the leadership while they're here.

Anyway. I'm not here to start any funk with the wrong people.

I love all you guys, I wish you all a hella-well, and I'm out.

Peace!
    Last edited by DeeVeeOss; 07-29-2015 at 10:55 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

XFIRE ID: prodigy18

You can't fault people for life

that's what you said just now

and that is what is happening and what everyone is trying to say

cant fault people for playing different games because HEY its life people go to other games or do other things I for one have no issues

im not on often for the same reasons I have life issues and things I need to attend to but I let others know

so if other things go down I keep my self out of it plain and simple I let xeno max bo and the other big wig guys handle that :P

hey who im going to chime out here cause IM SKYYLINE and I can do that

Quote Originally Posted by BrilliantDude49 View Post
    I don't know if the guys over at Nexon know about this game called World of Warcraft, but it's a game where lots of people exist in a single world instead of everyone living in their own world.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

XFIRE ID: bones4war Steam ID: bones4war

I'll throw my two cents in. I agree with @Bojangles. To sit and read through a novel sized diatribe about commitment to the clan from someone I've never even heard of before is too much. As stated before we're an older clan age wise. We all have responsibilities outside of here but that doesn't mean we don't care or don't want to be bothered coming on. We're on when we can be. I was online an extraordinary amount of time with the previous clan I was in and almost ruined my marriage because of it. I enjoy coming on and hanging out with my extended family but there are times when real life takes precedence. Doesn't mean I care any less for what goes on here or for the people who have spent a lot of time making this clan what it is. It's greatly appreciated by everyone here.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Pr0cl1v3ty XFIRE ID: Procl1v1ty Steam ID: Pr0cl1v1ty

Wow...that read though....

Salt...everything taste so salty in here.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Vyri XFIRE ID: ksteffens24 Steam ID: kyle24steffens

Quote Originally Posted by Pr0cl1v1ty View Post
    Wow...that read though....

Salt...everything taste so salty in here.

77999607aideh_sm.jpg
    lel

Pretty much. People move on. Kids jobs etc etc. Too many games to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfish View Post
    My two cents, go with whatever special k says.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: xth3krimzon1x Steam ID: th3krimzon1

As a former member, and a person who is part of the community but rarely around, please allow me to add my views, as well:

Life, that thing there can be a *****, yo. The core of what's going on, what you see, and what each of us sees is this: Like so many said, we got older, we have more varied interests now due to that and other factors, many of us have health issues, the list really goes on. That said, what I, personally, believe has affected this community, and so many others, the most is the change in the nature of online gaming itself, due to the developers and publishers: Most games no longer support dedicated servers, therefore, the clans have no niche in the game they get to call their own, shape to their will, to entice others to give them a minute of their time. I, too, have gamed for a very, very long time, and while I do agree with a lot of what you say, I honestly agree with DPG's current members more.

Also, DPG, REALLY doesn't like posts in the forums that take 6 weeks to read, they really, really don't. Trust me on this, I learned it the hard way.

Again, while a lot of what you say makes sense, and I feel you only have a positive goal, I feel, perhaps, that the way you went about it takes away from that.

Apologies for my own "long" post, I'm done.

Long live DPG.

I may die, but I'm taking you, your family, your house, your car, a small third world nation, and your friggin Yorkshire Terrier with me, smartass.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I can see that I've steered this in the wrong direction through my piss poor tact.

I'm awkward like that sometimes.

Apologies.

-

Ultimately, I should have started with the introductions page, got to know a few of you, showed my pearly whites, done my best to endear you all to me, and then slowly and softly offered my opinion on the matter, whilst knowing my role as an "outsider" so as not to alienate myself, where when I then finally made mention that "this community could use members" that I then be flat out ignored like I'm sure Max MUST have been the first 100 times that he MUST have mentioned it 3-6-12 months ago.

And instead, to make the matter worse, I used some strong language in my initial post to help speed up the process of alienating myself.

But do you know what? I'm not here to be liked. I'mhere to drop some knowledge, point out a few ideas, and be on my way.

I'm here to point out the symptoms of anthrax poisoning according to my studies, and to suggest that it might not be "just a cold" that this community is experiencing. I do this because I care that this clan not only survives, but thrives.

I am appealing to the hearts of the members that are left within this community to see what I'm saying, how it affects them, and what they can do put a smile on their own faces and a smile on Max's face.

I understands that everyone is super busy. I get it 100%.

I want to discuss what can be done in spite of people being busy.

-

I realize that to most of you I'm some ancient, retard, alien, that's crawled out from some rock for 'who knows what' purpose.

I realize that I come off as conceited and snippy. Apologies. I don't have the time to work around that in this instance.

Normally, I would have assessed the more tactful route as the best way to go about approaching you guys.

I'm sure that this would all have had a much better effect, a much less 'salty' effect (again apologies), but like you all, I really don't have the time.

Look at the facts:

-I saw there were 20 people here a while back, then I saw there was 5. (Maybe they were a busy day and a slow day, and all in all it's holding steady at 12.5 people on average per night the last 3 months. That's possible, but it's not likely. I'm going off of what I've seen.)

-I saw Max's "Insurgency" post, and I read between the lines. It's very clear. It's not at all ambiguous what he's concerned with there. It completely confirms the trend I've seen within your Teamspeak.

-I asked myself if that address was the first time Max/Leaders made references/implications of not having enough people around. Not likely.

-I asked myself what the 20 people were (not) doing, while they were still here, as they listened to Max's concerns about not having enough people around. (or even just hinting that "more would be better" for the community)

-I know exactly what most of those 20 people did and didn't do because there are now 5-10 people around in prime-time instead of 30-35. I know life happened to them...but where are the members that they should have focused on recruiting to take their place?

-So it follows that aside from a handful of KICKASS members, the majority of this community has not backed Max's play. He and the other leaders wanted a few more people around, and very few of those 20 people worked at that. I know exactly what it looks like when a clan focuses and works at adding QUALITY members, and the productivity is astounding. I don't see that here. It's not here. I know how that "Insurgency" letter would have read if 20 members had been applying themselves to adding members 3-6-12 months prior.

This logic is unimpeachable and it must be what's at play.

-

I understand people can't be here. That's fine. 'Life-happens' is a revolving door that will always be there and that needs to be accounted/prepared for, or the 4th Law of Thermodynamics will function unchecked and unabated.

I have studied clan life/death, I mean actually studied, with people smarter than myself (which I know isn't saying much), and while there are many problems, they all seem to effect the same fatal symptom which is "not enough people around."

'Life-happens' is a leading cause of clan death and it can happen to ANY community. When the threshold of 'bad luck/timing' to the community becomes too great, communities implode. I actually have some very interesting cases I'd love to share, but don't have the time to. The bottom line is, you have to create your own good luck as much as possible. And there are many ways to do that.

You can think about it like how if there is one tiny insignificant factor that is bad for a clan on a miniscule scale, (say an active member leaving), that in and of itself has no chance of being the life/death difference; however, when you add together all of these instances, whatever they may be, (most of them so insidious that they go unnoticed and unaccounted for), you find the community in the red, and it's curtains.

I find that often times people can't list the day when a clan imploded.
    I find that often times there is disagreement on the causes behind the implosion.

These two facts show us that we are susceptible to clan death in ways that we won't necessarily see coming.

Scared is good. Scared stays alive.

-

Let me put it one final way and I'll be on my way and leave you guys to have a discussion if you think one might be needed.

-

If it's true that a community needs it's members...

And it's true that there is no magical stork that seeds your teamspeak for you overnight...

Then if you love your community, the primary concern must at all times be to continuously add quality members there within.

Period. Full stop. In all variations. In all clans. In all communities. (save a small group of family/friends that play together here and there, but mostly play alone or end up playing alone after 'life happens')

-

You can twist and turn that anyway you want to but the bottom line is completely rigid.

I know full well and empirically what would have happened if the first time it was suggested that the TS is diminishing, if all of this community's members would have started taking time and concern to actively suss out more quality members.

You had the chance to easily do it while there were 20 people in TS.

You still have a chance to do it now so long as one of you remains and has the will.

When you're here, as you play, as you hang out, focus on keeping an eye out for and taking time to engage your guests.
    That's it. That's the big bad solution to all of your problems. (OK that's a little bit oversimplified, but not by much)

-

Look.

To follow the statement, "we're all very busy and hardly get a chance to play," should be, "and so while we're here, because we want to see this community do well, we continuously work to add members so that there will be something to come back to when we get less busy at a later date."

Anything else follows, "we're all very busy and hardly get a chance to play, so we are conceding this community to be guided and directed by the 4th Law of Thermodynamics.

Leaving the task of adding members to the next person is selfish and it's fatal.

It's the reason I addressed this clan body and not Max.

It's not Max and the leaders who can do a damn thing for DPG that they aren't already. It's the entire clan body, working together, that will effect the power that's needed to set straight the direction that things are headed. It's only the majority of the clan body that can push back against the 4th Law of Thermodynamics. All members are needed.

-

Point in case:

Do you know how much effort it took to earn my 4PM-4AM eat/breathe/bleed DPG dedication and ultra-activity for 2 years??

It took TylerDurden telling me, "That was an awesome few rounds! Damn I love this game. If you like you can d/l AIM and add me for next time?" The rest was history. In my case, it was just-that-simple.

I had no interest in joining a clan. I didn't really notice Tyler too much aside from him seeming friendlyish and social. I had never heard of the DPG. I would have moved on and never met this clan if not for his effort to recruit me.

In fact, I didn't even meet him in a DPG server!

Imagine what a group of 'TylerDurdens', focusing on adding quality to the community, wherever they play, could do if they worked together at it!!

And hey! It's not like you can't play the games and hang out and have fun in the meantime, it just means that while you're out there hanging out and enjoying games, tag wearing members need to commit to putting their community first.

Again. To be crystal clear. I'm not suggesting we blow off our niece's graduation to play video games.
    The case I'm making has nothing to do with the amount of time spent here. We already know what a useless waste of unfocused time spent will (not) produce.

No. The case I'm making speaks to what tag-wearing members do while they're here and where they keep their heads.

Either you keep them in the game, or elsewhere. That's it. 2 options.

-

I have a book/encyclopedia on how to recruit quality and quantity to best effect, and there is a particular roster structure that is suggested part in parcel. Also, there are a few fundamental and psychological understandings that are needed to know about "gamers" in general and by category.

I'm happy to share it all in a verbal discussion some time if there are ears that want to hear it and if I can find the time.

If you want to be real slick, simply add "has demonstrated an understanding regarding the necessity of focus on clan growth" to the 2 month recruiting process. Tie the responsibility of 'adding members' to the tag. See where that gets you. Build some quality and strength into the system, yes?

-

But outside of all that, I'm needed elsewhere, I've said my piece, and it's all up to each and everyone of you to force this clan in the direction that you all choose for it to go. No matter what you choose, you're forcing it in a direction. So get together. Discuss. Get on the same page. Decide what you want DPG to look like in 6 months, agree on the things that will be needed to get there, and make it happen.

-

Best wishes DPG.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aw man! You're damn right on many of the changes man.

There are too many to list but you're RIGHT ON.

The difference is NASTY.

I have a 4 page draft on it that I didn't post.

I can't get into this right now man.

But you're absolutely right.

The way the deck is stacked....it's almost impossible to start a new clan from scratch with the intention of it being long-term.

Almost.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah man, I gotcha 100%.

I get the impact of that ugly revolving door.

There are no ways around 'life happening' but there are ways to account for it so when "bad timing" takes a round out of your community, you can still be left standing.

The whole key is realizing that none of us will be here for too long, and that at some point we might want to return.

So the question then becomes, "what can I do to give myself the best chances at having a clan to return to."

All roads lead to Rome.

It is all about working together to add WHILE we're still here.

All kinds of buns are in ovens.
    All kinds of jobs are coming and going.
    Night classes.
    Exchange programs.
    Military service.
    Illness.
    Illness in the family.
    Loss of interest in game.
    Loss of interest in gaming altogether.
    Other priorities not named.

On and on and on.

How can a community survive that?

It's OK when it happens a little here and a little there, but I know a community that lost 66% of it's strongest members in a 2 week span.

It took 8 months of daily searching to find comparable members to replace!

And that's WITH several people focused on finding them.

That's WITH measures to increases our chances of attracting them.

It's brutal out there.

But you guys are all sounding like 'life happens' has taken you out to the woodshed and you've given up.

There are ways to fight it man!!

I promise you guys can do it!!

It's just a matter of you putting in as much 'good' as you can, while you're here, so that when the bad takes a round out of you, you're still left standing.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not about commitment.

It's about focusing on choosing to spend time, while you're here, to add more quality members, or not, and what the impact of that choice has on your community's chances for survival.

It's about cause and consequence.

Put the loser writing this aside for a second, and look at what's being said.

You guys can still do it.

Just spend time actively engaging your guests and you'll be fine.

You don't have to stand up your date so you can video game instead...

Just WHILE YOU'RE HERE ANYWAY...pay some attention to recruiting quality members.

Take time to engage people.

It's not about commitment.

It's about what happens if you follow that course of action and it's about what happens if you don't.

Thread Information